The Magness Tree Farm
An 80-acre reserve of Douglas fir trees, complete with its own 60-foot fire lookout tower, sits amidst the nut-tree orchards and rapidly expanding suburbia at the south edge of the Portland metro area.
Known as the Magness Memorial Tree Farm, the demonstration forest provides a little-known, high-quality forest recreation opportunity within a 25-mile drive from downtown Portland. The tree farm is five miles south of Sherwood on Southwest Ladd Hill Road.
- WHAT: The 80-acre Magness Memorial Tree Farm is owned by the World Forestry Center of Portland. The farm is managed as a demonstration forest to produce Douglas firs for a variety of uses -- everything from telephone poles to Christmas trees. Howard and Panzy Magness donated the farm to the forestry center in 1977.
- DRIVE: From the center of Sherwood, drive south on Main Street for five miles to the tree farm's parking lot. Main Street changes names to South Sherwood Boulevard and Southwest Ladd Hill Road along the way. The parking lot is on the west side of Ladd Hill Road, near a large, yellow diesel Caterpillar. To reach the tree farm from Wilsonville on Interstate 5, take Exit 283 and drive west four miles on Wilsonville Road to Edminston Road. Turn right, drive 1.5 miles to Ladd Hill Road, turn right and drive a half-mile to the tree farm entrance.
- THE TRAIL: The loop trail system begins at the visitor center near the parking lot. The route to the fire tower is marked with signs, as is the John Nagle Nature Trail. The Management Loop Trail makes a crossing to the east side of Ladd Hill Road, but the bulk of the tree farm's trail system is on the west side of the road.
- DISTANCE: The tree farm has three miles of trail. The fire tower is a half-mile from the visitor center by trail.
- RATING: All trails are suitable for beginners. The half-mile Nagle loop is paved for wheelchair use.
- CAUTION: Although open to the public daily during daylight hours, the tree farm is on private property. Groups that rent the farm's three cabins, the picnic area and the visitor center for family gatherings or special events are given priority over drive-up hikers.
Join The DreamGiver's Inn when you are looking for a Magness Tree Farm bed and breakfast, Magness Tree Farm luxury lodging or to enjoy an Oregon retreat unlike any other.
Visit our Rooms and Amenities sections to find out more.